interior cabinThe instruction manual begins with the cabin interior and I thought that would be a perfect place to get acquainted with how this kit will be constructed. Since this kit uses a ton of miniature screws in 14 different sizes/styles, organizing them was a priority. Each bag has a nice peel off label which went onto a spare plastic divider box that I had laying around. Dropping this box is NOT on my to-do list!
The Pocher kit has provisions for both right and left hand drive, due to this the rear wall of the cockpit has a hatch release on each side. This will hardly be seen on the finished model with the seats in place, although it’s a simple task to fill in the unwanted (passenger side) latch release.
One surprising omission in the kit is a lack of carpeting. A driver’s side floor mat is included (one for either drive), and the trunk comes pre-carpeted, but that’s it. Sticky back felt, or doll house carpeting, does the trick here. Paul’s DVD includes measurements for cutting most of the carpet pieces out which saves making templates, an unexpected bonus! Skipping ahead to step 5, the metal firewall (is it still called a firewall with a rear engine?) is installed to the floor pan so the footwells can be carpeted.
This matte black version features a bi-color interior on the seats, center console and door panels. Since I wanted a two tone steering wheel, as well as a few seam lines that I wanted removed on the console, it was time to find a suitable color match. Vallejo Model Color to the rescue, the orange red #70.910 is a near perfect match. The center control panel comes pre-painted so the only thing to do is add the LCD display decal. Here I used the aftermarket one depicting a gps map, the kit supplied is the Lambo screensaver…I just wanted a bit more color. The R, M and P decals are also from the AM ones as these are not supplied with the kit. The 4 center console pieces were screwed together and put in place.
The seat fronts are of a vinyl material which has a realistic feel and look, more so than styrene would. The seats slide front to back on rails, and need a good amount of pressure to snap in place, so it’s best to add the seat fronts after. The stitching is very well done and as an option can be done in a contrasting color. Since the dash does not include any stitching, and way beyond my skill level to do, I left it as is. Finishing up steps 1 and 5, the pedals were painted and wet/dry sandpaper anti-skid inserts were added. Thinning the go pedal would have been a good idea as it is a bit thick.
The dashboard is next and this is more time consuming than it would appear to be. First up was a dry fit to make sure all fit correctly, some sanding shaping was necessary for a good fit with the side pieces. The 2 center air vents are missing the adjustment wheels, the outer 2 are fine. Some scrap styrene took care of this and then the Vallejo black primer went on. The left hand (in my case) control panel was masked and painted aluminum, detailed with black and finally the small decals were added. The gauge bezel was painted and I drilled the 6 screw holes for a bit more detail. The kit decals went on nicely, until I noticed the center one was not on straight…thankfully the AM decal sheet includes 3 versions to choose from. The Lamborghini lettering on the passenger side is a metallic water slide decal, easier to use than a transfer type such as Tamiya sometimes provides, although not as pronounced. The kit even includes a passenger airbag warning light decal. BMF was used for the accents.
Since this is going to be a 3 tone steering wheel (orange, black, aluminum) I tried bare metal foil first, and failed. Masking was done and the 3 colors went on. In hindsight I would glue the two sections together first and fight with the masking, better than the seam I was left with. The paddle shifters could also use thinning, which I did not do. Decals are included for the stalks and the Bull, but not for the wheel thumb controls, these are from the supplemental sheet.
The headliner received velvet paper for a nicer look, makes for a good carpet in smaller scales too. The center decal for the overhead light section is a bit too long as supplied and needs to be cut into 2 pieces to fit properly. Foil stickers are included for a reflective look to the lights and for the rear view mirror. The headliner is then screwed into the metal cabin body, giving this thing some real weight. The metal rear firewall is also screwed on and should have a heat shield applied. I added this by pressing some foil tape on 100 grit sandpaper for texture. Most of the windows use the die-cut double sided tape provided to fasten in place, although this small rear window does not. Easily accomplished by cutting a couple of thin strips off the sheet instead of gluing. The decal sheet includes a Lambo etching for each piece of glass, which is very cool. Cloth seatbelts with etched hardware are installed on the side pieces.
Finally, these sub-assemblies can be fitted together, the dash took a bit of wiggling but fit like a glove once in place. Everything got screwed in and I really had a sense of accomplishing something in the end. Fit was perfect, screw holes lined up, and I’m really enjoying this kit so far.